Juniper J4350 Software recovery

• Hi all,
            I am new to this forum and need some help.  I was messing with a J4350 and as stupid as I am, I uploaded the wrong firmware version without validating the software :oops:. When I rebooted the Junos after installing the package, the router got stuck in a loop.

it starts to run the old version of software on boot up and obviously because the version I uploaded is old, the 4350 doesnt support it, it stops the boot and reboots. I am trying to recover this router with a USB flash disk….it tries to boot from the USB storage, but I get the following:

Trying to boot from USB device …

Disk error
    Press any key to restart

How can i make a proper recovery disk? Do I need to format the USB drive in a certain FAT? I want to recover to 8.2 export.

Thanks guys

• Please refer to https://www.juniper.net/support/csc/swdist-ww/InstallReadMe.txt
    on how to rebuild the image into the flash card. I have done it many time and it work.

USB boot storage device:

To create a USB boot storage device, ftp the image to the router�s /var/tmp directory and insert a USB storage device into the router�s USB port. Then, from the UNIX shell on your router, change to the /var/tmp directory and issue the following commands:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 count=20

dd if=install-media-8.3R1.5-domestic of=/dev/da0 bs=64k

J-series Install Media:

The following packages are the same as the exported worldwide versions. As a result, these packages include the string “-export-”. The images use the naming convention “junos-jseries-<release>-cfnnn.gz”, where <release>is the software release version and nnn is the target compact flash card size in megabytes (128, 256, 512, or 1024).

* To recover a primary compact flash card:
          1. Plug the compact flash drive into a PCMCIA adapter or USB card reader on the host PC, and verify that it is recognized by the operating system.
          2. Copy the JUNOS software image to the host PC and uncompress it with the gzip or WinZip utility. The uncompressed image must have the same size as the target compact flash capacity (128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, or 1024 MB).
          3. Copy the JUNOS software image to the compact flash card with one of the following commands:
                CAUTION: You must use the correct target device name. Failure to do so might damage other storage devices connected to the host PC.
              o On a UNIX PC, use the following command:
                      dd if= <filename>of=/dev/ <device_name>Replace <filename>with the name of the uncompressed image, and <device_name>with the name of the raw PCMCIA card device. For example:
                      root# dd if=junos-jseries-<release-number>-export-cf128 of=/dev/hde
                      250368+0 records in
                      250368+0 records out
              o On a Windows XP or Windows 2000 PC, use the Norton Ghost or dd utility.</release-number></device_name></filename></device_name></filename></release></release>

Users

Topics